Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What's The Hobby You’ve Always Wanted?

I can't tell you why, but I've always loved these things.
Is there a hobby or thing you’ve always wished you’d gotten into? Sure, maybe you already have a lot of hobbies (as for me, I almost have too many). Or maybe you already have a ton of sports you like to play. And yet there is still that one thing you wish you knew how to do, or one sport you wish you had learnt or joined a team for.

For me, that thing is cars. Oh, I know, I may be the most unassumingly tiny little girl, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get excited by a nice vehicle or want to know more about them (which wouldn’t be hard seeing as I know basically nothing). I feel like there is just something so gratifying about being able to change your own oil or fix up little problems in your own vehicle without having to go ask someone for help or to do it for you. It also seems like it would be a lot of hard work, yet fun, to have a old, classic “project car” that you are refurbishing or working on putting a new engine into to make it more fuel efficient for today. That way, you could have that old car you always thought was awesome without having to worry about the environment or it crapping out on you randomly on the street because it’s so old. Being able to take care of cars just seems like a good skill to have, but I am at a loss as to where to even begin when it comes to that.

Leave me alone. It's beautiful, okay?
Of course, I could always still pick it up! Who is to say that we can’t start doing things we’ve always wanted to just because we’ve gotten older (says the 22 year-old). I guess it just seems simpler to learn things at a young age and stick with them with practice over the years. And I suppose the other problem with my hobby of choice in particular is that cars and parts and tools are ridiculously expensive! Yikes. But you know what? Never say never. I should just look and see if I can find one of those “For Dummies” books on auto-mechanics somewhere, see if there is a class I can take on this stuff one day, and go ask my uncle for help if I have any questions. And then maybe, just maybe, I will have my fantastic VW Minibus that I’ve always wanted. Or a 60s Chevy Impala, of course: carry on my wayward son, we’re going hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment